WelcomeTo My World

Wednesday 23 April 2014

ACTION ALERT: Alabama Prison Strike Support

***ACTION ALERT*** 

When the oppressed begin to understand their power, begin to speak out and act together, not as victims, but as a majority creating a new world that is theirs in the shell of the old--this is when the powers that be react with violence. 
Right now Melvin Ray, Official Spokesperson of the Free Alabama Movement has been thrown into solitary confinement with no clothes and no bed in retaliation for struggling for the freedom of the thousands of incarcerated people in Alabama and the 3 million people behind bars in the United States today.
This is NOT acceptable.
Call Warden Carter Davenport (205) 467-6111 and demand he be treated like a human being. Ask to be redirected to the highest person. 

Let's flood the phone lines. Show 'em that we're watching! An injury to one is an injury to all!

Get involved:
http://www.iww.org/content/solidarity-incarcerated-workers-free-alabama-movement
Background:
http://www.salon.com/2014/04/18/exclusive_prison_inmates_to_strike_in_alabama_declare_they’re_running_a_slave_empire/

More info:
https://www.facebook.com/incarceratedworkers


Sample Script:

"Hi, my name is X. I'm inquiring about a colleague (fellow member of a labor union, the IWW) Melvin Ray being held at St. Clair prison. His family reports that he was removed from his cell, stripped naked, and placed into a bare cell without clothes or bed. I want to know if this is true and to ask that he be returned to his original cell, given his clothing and bed back. I also think that these actions are unjust, prison workers involved in the strike or work stoppage should not be retaliated against." 

Be polite, respectful, but persistent.  You may be asked for your name.  Share whatever you're comfortable with.

"I called earlier and said pretty much this script, first to the phone operator, who patched me to a sergeant, who then bumped me up to a lieutenant.  They told me they couldn't tell me anything about Ray's whereabouts, to call back from 8am to 4pm ET to speak with a captain or warden.  Which I will do.  But, I still think it's worth calling the prison RIGHT NOW, if you have the time and a phone line, to let the officers know that the union has a fellow worker's back."


No comments:

Post a Comment