WelcomeTo My World

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Black Does Not Equal Fear



This video is about changing the mindset of America. Black does not equal fear. In this video I ask "I am black, do you fear me?" to inspire people to realize their own possible bias. I reference President Obama and many things from the Zimmerman trial. Videographer : Javier Ruiz Music: prod. D.O.P.E.


Transcript

I AM BLACK
DO YOU FEAR ME?
IS IT FROM WHAT YOUVE HEARD
OR WHAT YOU SEE?
I WEAR SWEAT SHIRTS, POLOS, AND WHITE T'S
BUT ITS NOT MY CLOTHeS THAT INDICT ME
Its not my actions, education, or personality
Its my nose, my lips and my ancestry

Why does my skin speak louder than the words I say
We don't assume all whites are Timothy McVeigh
If I plead the fifth and don't ad to my case
I can't escape your ideas of my race

Its ok to infer, conclude, perceive
As long as we know, what we deduct can deceive
Admit you could be wrong
Cause you don't know me
thats all that I ask, I'm begging you please

If I have a ball you clap and cheer
But outside the game you quiver in fear
I see purses clutched closer, doors locked as i pass
Words laced with curses, no wonder we clash

Justice in court
Will always fall short
If we don't begin to take a fresh start
The judge tried to excluded race thats a fact
But the jury can't forget that Trayvon was back
No need to see race and then pick us apart
Cause we all look the same when we stand in the dark
Now judge me simply by my diction
hear my emotion pain and conviction

I want to enlighten not divide
I want respect for your life and mine

If fear is the cause thats something we share
And fear is caused from not knowing whats there

So like President Obama let me be clear
Im a black man
And I'm not going anywhere

Im part of some gangs you've heard all about
I'm an Aggie alum
And a proud Eagle Scout

Entrepreneur starting a career
I will identify my self so you'll have nothing to fear




The idea of being black has been twisted so much
Were said to be savage , ratchet ghetto,
Threatening, lazy, and sit on our butts
And those that know me still seem to judge
You call me white cause I'm non of the above
I've been called black, and I've been called white
Based on what you believe neither is right
I am Chris one of a kind
So don't judge me by your experiences but by mine
And I'm incline to tell you, I'm not alone
In moments like this we all can be strong
Let our voices be heard let them relish the sound
How can we move forward if we all stand our ground
And after that verdict, the value of my life seemed bleak
What are my chances if they demonize me
We fear for our lives, to a certain extent
But this video is our self defense

No comments:

Post a Comment