WelcomeTo My World

Tuesday 27 September 2011

Let's Start breaks the cycle of incarceration






http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1184299781001
By Heidi Glaus

St. Louis (KSDK) -- Like most of us, there
are certain things Roosevelt Roberts would
like to change about himself, for example
he's not a big fan of his name.

"I'm growing into it the older I get, but when
I was a kid I hated it! Everyone called me
Rosie, Roberts says.

Being called Rosie was probably one of the
easier things Roosevelt had to deal with
growing up.

"My father was kind of abusive to me, so I
ended up going to foster care in the third
grade," Roberts adds.

Both of his parents served time in prison.

"I thought that being incarcerated was
hereditary since my family had all been
there before and after me," Roberts
explains.

But Roosevelt is breaking the cycle.

"It was one of my social workers who really
changed my life. She was very attentive to
me, she took me putt putt golfing and I
remember that experience because with
my upbringing I was like, 'golf, are you
serious.' She just really taught me to open
up my mind," Roberts goes on to say.

He's also proof that one person really can
make difference, which is basically the idea
behind Let's Start, a not-for-profit that
helps women get their lives back on track
after prison.

"Our long range goal is to break the cycle
of incarceration in families. In order to do
that we support women when they're
coming out of the prison system, but we
also work with their children," explains Sr.
Jackie Toben with Let's Start.

No comments:

Post a Comment