Tucked away off Frien Barnet Lane, Sweets Way estate housed in the region of 160+ households. Most housed via the council with a smaller number renting privately. The land and estate, owned by the MOD and originally intended to house military personnel, is to be sold.
Started on the 9th February and due to be completed by 23rd February, the lightning set of evictions and property clearances are leaving families in chaos and confusion whilst they are displaced. Families are being offered mostly temporary emergency housing, but not in Barnet. Relocations have reportedly included areas like Enfield, Waltham Forest, Westminster, Essex and Luton.
A number of residents are Kurdish and Turkish refugees who have already suffered trauma. Many of the children from Sweets Way estate now have to consider whether to change schools, or spend hours on public transport to reach their schools, and friends in Barnet.
Families have lost almost all their belongings because they have nowhere, and no money, to store them. From a 2 to 3 bedroom home to a single room in a hostel leaves little room for any furniture, or practical items like washing machine, fridge, cooker etc.
Residents reported that Barnet council had allowed families to keep their furniture and valuables in the homes after their evictions, so they could find storage space, but the properties were then robbed and the items stored stolen.
Families are expected to wait until their eviction before they approach the council for rehousing, to find out what type of accommodation will be available for them, leaving them in extremely precarious stressful circumstances with no assurances of adequate help.
This is however a London wide problem for residents - not solely a local problem in the Tory borough of Barnet - as property prices continue to rise and 'land grabs' continue, to build more expensive and profitable private housing. The concept of 'social housing' or 'affordable housing' rapidly becoming a quaint memory.
Barnet Housing Action Group supported tenants during the evictions.
OTHER RELATED VIDEOS ON THIS CHANNEL:
* ANTI-SOCIAL CENTRE EVICTION, OCCUPATION, EVICTION 27/11/2014 http://youtu.be/TIQ7idU131o
* E15 MOTHERS WIN FIGHT FOR SINGLE MUM AT NEWHAM HOUSING OFFICE 25/11/2014 http://youtu.be/iXEwtZq8orc
* FOCUS E15 MOTHERS AT NEWHAM TOWN HALL 29/9/2014 http://youtu.be/7fKgQyi8qq0
* VULNERABLE MAN EVICTED BY PRIVATE LANDLORD 10/4/2014
* ATTEMPTED EVICTION OF PREGNANT MOTHER IN WEST KILBURN 21/3/2014 http://youtu.be/4-9EZYnvjiY
* ATTEMPTED EVICTION OF PREGNANT MOTHER IN WEST KILBURN 21/3/2014
* HOMES NOT JAILS (LAMBETH) 25/2/2014
* CONNAUGHT HOUSE EVICTION 2-11/3/2013
* HARINGEY HOUSING ACTION (LONDON) 6/10/2012
* OLYMPIC LEGACY - TOUR OF CARPENTERS ESTATE 21/7/2012