WelcomeTo My World

Friday 12 August 2011

Help Keep Carol out of the Pokey

Dedicated Reformer who has helped so many now needs your help!



My name is Carol Leonard and many of you will know me as Prison Reform Movement too.  I have been a human rights advocate/activist for almost 10 years. My focus has been criminal justice. Over the years I have helped many families and individuals with issues surrounding incarceration. Back in July, I was stopped for no tail light- a simple fix it ticket. When my license was ran, it came back as 'suspended' and I was arrested. I had no prior knowledge that my license was not valid- I was NEVER notified! I was held for a day and half after which time I was allowed to bond out. I immediately contacted DMV and was told I failed to pay a speeding ticket from December of 2003. I paid the ticket and reinstatement fee that same day. When I appeared in court, I was instructed that I would need to bring proof that everything was paid ( which I already had, but was not looked at), my license and court costs of $450.00 to my next court appearance-otherwise  I would be jailed ( this was told to the entire courtroom). As a consequence of this, I lost my job.   I am asking for  your help to keep me out of the pokey!  My court date is Monday, August 15th at 9am. 


Update: called general sessions court and asked if they have payment plans, I was told that if I had done what I was asked to do as far as license, they would probably take that into consideration- when I asked if I would go to jail if court costs were not paid,i was told "based on the Judges MOOD" you could very well be placed in jail.
.



Created By
Carol Leonard

No comments:

Post a Comment