WelcomeTo My World

Sunday, 8 September 2013

Edith Piaf

Early life

Édith's mother abandoned her at birth, and she lived for a short time with her maternal grandmother, Emma (Aïcha). Before he enlisted with the French Army in 1916 to fight in World War I, her father took her to his mother, who ran a brothel in Normandy. There, prostitutes helped look after Piaf.[1]
From the age of three to seven, Piaf was allegedly blind as a result of keratitis. According to one of her biographies, she recovered her sight after her grandmother's prostitutes pooled money to send her on a pilgrimage honouring Saint Thérèse of Lisieux. Piaf claimed this result was a miraculous healing.[10] However, since keratitis is usually caused by HSV (herpes), HPV, etc. just the removal from prostitutes' care to a clean home could have been the curative medicine. Also, keratitis is very often mistaken for allergic conjunctivitis, which would also better account for her improved health.[11]
In 1929, at 14, she joined her father in his acrobatic street performances all over France, where she first sang in public. At the age of 15, Edith met Simone "Mômone" Berteaut, who may have been her half-sister, definitely a companion for most of her life, and together they toured the streets singing and earning money for themselves for the first time. With the additional money Edith earned as part of an acrobatic trio, Edith and Mômone were able to rent their own living space.[1] She separated from her father and took a room at Grand Hôtel de Clermont (18 rue Veron, Paris 18ème), working with Marmone as a street singer in Pigalle, Ménilmontant, and the Paris suburbs (cf. the song "Elle fréquentait la Rue Pigalle").
In 1932 she met and fell in love with Louis Dupont. Within a very short time he moved into their small room, where the three lived despite Louis and Mômone's dislike for each other. Louis was never happy with the idea of Edith's roaming the streets, and continually persuaded her to take jobs he found for her. She resisted his persuasions whenever possible, until she became pregnant and worked for a short while making wreaths in a factory.[12]
In February 1933, when Edith was 17 years old, her daughter, Marcelle, was born in the Hôpital Tenon. Like her mother, Piaf found it difficult to care for a child while living a life of the streets, as she had little maternal instinct, parenting knowledge or domestic skills. She rapidly returned to street singing, until the summer of 1933, when she opened at Juan -les-Pins, Rue Pigalle.[12] Marcelle's father, Louis, whom Edith never married, was incensed. They quarrelled and Edith left, taking Mômone and Marcelle. The three of them stayed at the Hôtel Au Clair de Lune, Rue André-Antoine. Marcelle was often left alone in the room while Edith and Mômone were out on the streets or at the club singing, and died of meningitis at age two.[12]

Singing career

In 1935 Piaf was discovered in the Pigalle area of Paris[1] by nightclub owner Louis Leplée,[3] whose club Le Gerny off the Champs-Élysées[6] was frequented by the upper and lower classes alike. He persuaded her to sing despite her extreme nervousness, which, combined with her height of only 142 centimetres (4 ft 8 in),[4][13] inspired him to give her the nickname that would stay with her for the rest of her life and serve as her stage name, La Môme Piaf[3] (Paris slang meaning "The Waif Sparrow" or "The Little Sparrow").[1] Leplée taught her the basics of stage presence and told her to wear a black dress, which became her trademark apparel. Later, she would always appear in black.[1] Leplée ran an intense publicity campaign leading up to her opening night, attracting the presence of many celebrities, including actor Maurice Chevalier.[1] Her nightclub gigs led to her first two records produced that same year,[13] with one of them penned by Marguerite Monnot, a collaborator throughout Piaf's life and one of her favourite composers.[1]
On 6 April 1936,[1] Leplée was murdered. Piaf was questioned and accused as an accessory, but acquitted.[3] Leplée had been killed by mobsters with previous ties to Piaf.[14] A barrage of negative media attention[4] now threatened her career.[1] To rehabilitate her image, she recruited Raymond Asso, with whom she would become romantically involved. He changed her stage name to "Édith Piaf", barred undesirable acquaintances from seeing her, and commissioned Monnot to write songs that reflected or alluded to Piaf's previous life on the streets.[1]
In 1940, Édith co-starred in Jean Cocteau's successful one-act play Le Bel Indifférent.[1] She began forming friendships with prominent people, including Chevalier and poet Jacques Borgeat. She wrote the lyrics of many of her songs and collaborated with composers on the tunes. In 1944, she discovered Yves Montand in Paris, made him part of her act, and became his mentor[4] and lover.[14] Within a year, he became one of the most famous singers in France. She broke off their relationship when he had become almost as popular as she was.[1]
During this time, she was in great demand and very successful in Paris[3] as France's most popular entertainer.[13] After the war, she became known internationally,[3] touring Europe, the United States, and South America. In Paris, she gave Atahualpa Yupanqui (Héctor Roberto Chavero) – the most important Argentine musician of folklore – the opportunity to share the scene, making his debut in July 1950. She helped launch the career of Charles Aznavour in the early 1950s, taking him on tour with her in France and the United States and recording some of his songs.[1] At first she met with little success with U.S. audiences, who regarded her as downcast.[1] After a glowing review by a prominent New York critic, however, her popularity grew,[1] to the point where she eventually appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show eight times and at Carnegie Hall twice (1956[6] and 1957).
Édith Piaf's signature song, "La vie en rose",[1] was written in 1945 and was voted a Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 1998.
Bruno Coquatrix's famous Paris Olympia music hall is where Piaf achieved lasting fame, giving several series of concerts at the hall, the most famous venue in Paris,[4] between January 1955 and October 1962. Excerpts from five of these concerts (1955, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962) were issued on record and CD and have never been out of print. The 1961 concerts, promised by Piaf in an effort to save the venue from bankruptcy, debuted her song "Non, je ne regrette rien".[4] In April 1963, Piaf recorded her last song, "L'Homme de Berlin"

Personal life

Except for the daughter she had with her boyfriend, Louis Dupont, at age 17 - who died at age 2 of meningitis and neglect - Piaf never wanted nor had any more children.
The love of Piaf's life, the married boxer Marcel Cerdan, died in a plane crash in October 1949, while flying from Paris to New York City to meet her. Cerdan's Air France flight, flown on a Lockheed Constellation, crashed in the Azores, killing everyone on board, including noted violinist Ginette Neveu.[17] Piaf and Cerdan's affair made international headlines,[4] as Cerdan was the former middleweight world champion and a legend in France in his own right.
In 1951, Piaf was seriously injured in a car crash along with Charles Aznavour, breaking her arm and two ribs, and thereafter had serious difficulties arising from morphine and alcohol addictions.[1] Two more near-fatal car crashes exacerbated the situation.[6] Jacques Pills, a singer, took her into rehabilitation on three different occasions to no avail.[1]
Piaf married Jacques Pills, her first husband, in 1952 (her matron of honour was Marlene Dietrich) and divorced him in 1957. In 1962, she wed Théo Sarapo (Theophanis Lamboukas), a Greek hairdresser-turned-singer and actor[1] who was 20 years her junior. The couple sang together in some of her last engagements.
Piaf lived in Belleville, Paris, with her parents from 1915–1934. From 1934–1941, she lived at 45 rue de Chézy in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France. She lived at 45 rue Decazes in Marseille, France alone from 1941–1952 and with Jacques Pills from 1953–1956. She continued to live there alone from 1956–1959. In her final years she lived at 23 rue Édouard Nortier in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France – alone from 1959–1962 and with Théo Sarapo from 1962–1963 until her death.

Death and legacy

Piaf died of liver cancer at age 47 at her villa in Plascassier (Grasse), on the French Riviera, on 11 October 1963.[18][19][20] She had been drifting in and out of consciousness for several months.[6] Her last words were "Every damn fool thing you do in this life, you pay for."[21] It is said that Sarapo drove her body back to Paris secretly so that fans would think she had died in her hometown.[1][16] She is buried in Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris next to her daughter Marcelle, where her grave is among the most visited.[1]
Although she was denied a funeral mass by the Roman Catholic archbishop of Paris because of her lifestyle,[16] her funeral procession drew tens of thousands[1] of mourners onto the streets of Paris and the ceremony at the cemetery was attended by more than 100,000 fans.[16][22] Charles Aznavour recalled that Piaf's funeral procession was the only time since the end of World War II that he saw Parisian traffic come to a complete stop.[16]
In Paris, a two-room museum is dedicated to her, the Musée Édith Piaf[16][23] (5, Rue Crespin du Gast).

Edith Piaf - Non, Je ne regrette rien 



No comments:

Post a Comment